Follow Me

Monday, June 23, 2014

How sweet it is...

Yesterday, Brian and Rachael were eating supper and Brian called me on Skype to talk to me. I'm pretty sure that he and I didn't really talk much during that conversation, because Rachael and I were chatting. She told me about the birthday party she went to and the two cakes -- one was pink and one was green with a green fish. Rachael loves fish and pink is her favorite color. I went to McKay's (a used book store) today to buy some more books to read to Rachael since she enjoys it so much.

Rachael asked me where I was, and I told her that I was at my house. "Is it very far away?" She asked.
"Yes, it is very far away."
"Can you get in your car and come see me?"
"Not today, but I promise that I will one day."
"Why do you live there?"
"Because it's where my house is." I said.
"You don't want to live close to us?" Oooh, that question just broke my heart.
"I would love nothing more than to live close to you, baby."
"I want you to live close to us." Man, she knows how to tug at those heart strings!
"I want that too. Then we could play and I could read to you at your house."
"Yeah."

Later, they called me back and Rachael asked me to read the mouse book to her, so I read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Then she asked me to read Olivia and then got distracted talking to me and then ran off. :) Brian was cleaning the house and folding laundry and just in and out of the room while Rachael was talking to me... so Rachael was laying on his bed and playing with a laundry basket while we were chatting. I could hear that Brian was in the room and Rachael said, "I love you, Daddy." He probably responded that he loves her too. I couldn't really hear his part of the conversation. Then she said it again. Brian said something that I didn't hear. Then Rachael said, "I'm talking to Amber, Daddy."
"You're talking to me?" I said. Did I really hear that right?
"Yes. I love you." I was still stunned.
"I love you, Amber." Oh my. Melt. I almost cried.
"I love you too, Sweetheart. I love you so much."

How did I get so lucky?

Rachael doesn't tell people she loves them. She is very affectionate, but Brian said that he can count on two hands the number of people that she has said "I love you" to. For her to spontaneously tell me that she loves me without prompting is apparently a big deal. For her to sit and engage in conversation with me, especially without Brian in the room, is significant. I love that little girl... and it's apparently mutual!

No comments:

Post a Comment